Action Required: Register for an iQIES Account
The Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (QIES) is being upgraded to make the system more reliable, scalable, secure, and accessible. The enhanced Internet-facing, cloud-based system, referred to as the Internet Quality Improvement and Evaluation System (iQIES), aims to reduce provider burden and enhance the ability for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to better serve our community. CMS is excited to announce that we are preparing to release the iQIES for Minimum Data Set (MDS) submission in early 2023.
To gain access to the iQIES system, all users must create an account and establish credentials in the HCQIS Access Roles and Profile (HARP) system, which is a secure identity management portal provided by CMS. To learn more about HARP, click the HARP link below under Resources to review Frequently Asked Questions.
Register for iQIES Access
To receive access to iQIES, please complete the following steps below.
1. Create an account in the HARP system using your corporate email address at the link below. Note: HARP User IDs cannot be adjusted. As such, please refrain from using facility names or any special characters (such as # or &) when creating the HARP User ID. *If the facility handles 2 or fewer providers and does not have a corporate email domain, a personal email address may be used.Click here to create an account.
2. Access iQIES at the link below and log in with your HARP credentials (completed in step 1) to complete the process to request your User Role for your specific provider CMS Certification Number (CCN).Click here to access iQIES.
3. Once the user role request has been submitted AND approved by the PSO, you will receive notification via email informing you that your iQIES account access request has been approved.
*IMPORTANT: If your organization has not yet identified and registered a Provider Security Official (PSO), you will not be able to complete a user role request. At a minimum, at least one PSO needs to be registered for each provider, but CMS highly recommends at least two PSOs are designated so there is a higher likelihood someone will be available to approve/reject iQIES access requests. The PSO must work for the provider and cannot be a vendor.*
Please refer to the following iQIES documents for more information by visiting: https://qtso.cms.gov/software/iqies/reference-manuals
• iQIES Onboarding Guide for step-by-step instructions to request a user role
• iQIES User Role Matrix for a listing of user category descriptions and role privileges
Although the MDS submission functionality will not be available immediately, we strongly encourage users to request access to iQIES as soon as possible, as doing so will allow for a smoother transition prior to the go live date.
Currently, we are only onboarding MDS. You do not need to register for a HARP/iQIES account for Payroll Based Journal (PBJ) submissions.
For more information on HARP or iQIES, please refer to the following resources:
HARPFact sheet on HARP Identity Proofing FAQs related to HARP
iQIESiQIES Getting Started Overview iQIES Onboarding Guide iQIES Security Official: Manage Access Job Aid iQIES Quick Reference Guide – Provider Security Official iQIES User Role Matrix